At this point in my career, I have held over 150 interviews for my companies.
And listen…employees and contractors who aren’t going to last long, have a very specific set of patterns in their interviews.
Let me break it down for you…
1. They don’t LOVE the pay.
If they are ‘settling’ at all, then they have an expiration date before they begin.
Even if they accept the position, they will 100% continue to look for a gig that pays what they want. Because, duh.
Simply asking, “How do you feel about the pay,” will save you precisely 1,000 headaches.
2. Their commute is really far.
If I had a dollar for every time a candidate told me the drive wasn’t a problem and then quit after three weeks because the ‘drive was too far…’, then I would have precisely four dollars. I learned my lesson after the fourth. You want workers who feel at ease with the logistics of their work.
3. Their availability is meh.
The people who can only work one day per week will have an air of “outsider.” You want workers to have a sense of ‘settled’ energy in your space, and become a strong piece of the workplace culture.
Our turnover rate was much higher with these folks.
We now only hire people who are capable of three days per week minimum.
4. They don’t have reliable transportation.
First, no one has time for last-minute car troubles keeping their employees out of the office. And second, it’s just too easy of a cop-out on the days they don’t feel like coming in. I can’t even blame them, I used to use this one all the time when I was a young cocktail server who OFTEN felt like smoking cigarettes with my girlfriends was far more appealing than going to work.
5. Their history of work is a lot of short stints.
If they worked at Job #1 for three months, job #2 for four months, and job #3 for five months…I hate to say it, but you don’t want to be Job #4.
There is NOTHING WORSE than spending time, money, and emotional energy training someone for weeks for them to decide to bounce.
Commitment is the new black.
6. They complain about their past jobs/bosses/coworkers.
Listen, you don’t want a complainer.
This may be the MOST important of all.
If you drop a complainer right in the middle of five great workers, your culture has a toxin. It will spread to others in more ways than one. It’s a no for me, dawg.
The hiring process can feel daunting AF. But, you gotta JUST DO IT and remember that it’s all a huge learning process the first several times.
Every time you do it, you will be like “Shit, I should have done it this way,” or “Dang, I should NOT have said that.”
This is the process everyone goes through.
Keep hiring so you can keep leaning into your own strengths.
- (FREE) Listen to Becca’s weekly podcast, The Hell Yes Entrepreneur Podcast to learn the actionable strategies and steps to create your first 6 figure year. New Episode every Wednesday! There is a reason this podcast is growing massively each week, don’t miss out on all this FREE content.
- ($1500) My First 100k:Coaches Edition is for every coach that hasn’t yet made 100k. This lifetime access course contains Becca’s exact strategies, offers, and mindsets that launched her successful AF coaching career. This is everything that no one else is telling you. Now offering a Payment Plan!
- ($3,000) Three More is for entrepreneurs growing their business to their first 100k. Live weekly coaching, Becca’s fool-proof process in video vault format expertly geared to gain three more clients in thirty days, and three more after that forever. This course is the mecca for all things client acquisition and is lifetime access. The live sessions are taught by our Hell Yes Head Coach, John Richardson and has it’s own exclusive Facebook community. The perfect place to settle in for entrepreneurs who have not yet reached 50-100k annual revenue yet. Three More is for you.
- ($25,000) Exclusive high-level Mastermind where entrepreneurs mature into powerful CEO’s. Making between 50k-1mil+. Thirty More Mastermind is where our students master scaling, hiring, training, and expanding their company beyond just themselves. This is where entrepreneurs learn time and money freedom on a level they never thought possible. This is a 6 month mastermind and includes a Live Kick-off Event in different cities around the globe. Students must make at least $50k to apply, spots are limited.
- ($35k) 1:1 Coaching with Becca, six months. Please email contact@hellyescoachingonline.
com for more information.